As we proceed forward with technology and innovate new ways to create and use cameras, there are those that look towards old methodologies. It’s called the Jollylook and it is utterly destroying it on Kickstarter having earned over $190,000 over its funding goal of $15,000. Vintage Camera
It is designed to be a vintage instant camera that is made primarily from cardboard, and we took a look at this hot item from Ukraine to find out why.
The story of this project began when Oleg Khalip, co-founder of the project, showed his son an old-fashioned vintage camera. As he showed his son what was inside he explained how analog photography worked and hit a unique idea, “what if the package itself transformed and fulfilled the function of the camera and the picture turned out immediately?!” he said. From there he and his team designed an instant vintage camera that would, for their purposes, fold accordingly into a single package like an original vintage camera, function simply, and take instant photos.
After extensive design which included developing the shutter, finding the right lenses, and ensuring that the photo would be released upon being taken they arrived at the Jollylook. The camera is designed so that Fujifilm “instax mini” instant film cartridges are used with no modification. This gives the user a total of ten pictures per camera. Once inside users simply adjust the aperture and shutter to take the photo and then turn the crank on the side to roll out the picture.
The majority of the body, housing, and even several components are made from recycled paper. Other specifications include:
- Lens – a meniscus lens with a focal length of 110 mm ( 4.33 in), allows to take photos from portrait to landscape and can be moved up to shoot through the pinhole.
- Viewfinder – a Fresnel lens
- Aperture – a switchable diaphragm with manual adjustment for the seven values: f / 8, f / 11, f / 16, f / 22; f / 32; f / 45; f / 64 + pinhole.
- Shutter – automatic with shutter speed of 1/250 or 1/160 and manual shutter mode with the possibility to control the exposure time manually.
- Pinhole – a round hole in a copper foil 0.6 mm (0.023 in) in diameter, located on the diaphragm disk
- Storage conditions – store in a dry and dark place at room temperature.
- conditions of use – use at temperatures between 10 – 35 °C (50 -95 ℉) in dry weather.
- Size when folded 85 x 127 x 48 mm ( 311⁄32 x 5 x 157⁄64 in )
- Fujifilm “instax mini” instant film cartridge
- Photo size 46(W) x 62(H) mm
You can currently only purchase the Jollylook camera on Kickstarter where pledging $38 US will allow you to acquire a single camera and mini film cartridge. Higher pledges allow for a larger amount of cameras and cartridges to be purchased. There is no word yet on an expected retail price. They expect the cameras to undergo mass production as early as June 2017.
Latest posts by SnapMunk (see all)
- Save Money While Going Green With Arcadia Power - July 25, 2019
- 3 Compelling Reasons Why Your Tech Startup Needs A .TECH Domain - June 21, 2019
- Maximize Team Productivity With Project Management Tool monday.com - August 22, 2018