Entrepreneurs are everywhere, and more and more are sprouting up all the time. Just how many, you ask? A HUNDRED BILLION EVERY HOUR. Ok, not that many, but close-ish; recent analysis shows that every month, in the US alone, over 500,000 new businesses owners emerge. That means that in 2017, there will be millions of new businesses created across the country. It is entirely possible that 98% of them will be artisanal coffee shops that stock exactly six raisin cookies and two cashiers who “love surfing”, with the remaining 2% being a mixture of “smart wallet” brands and Snapchat Influencers / pseudo-vloggers. However, if everyone takes note of the 2017 trends that big brands like Pinterest are predicting, that may not be the case.
Pinterest just released their Pinterest 100 for 2017; their predictions for what will turn out to be the biggest 2017 trends for consumer lifestyles and products. According to Pinterest, their “…insights team dug through a ton of data from the past year to identify the top emerging trends on Pinterest” and then bubbled up the biggest trends in several core categories that showed the strongest YOY increase in interest (25% or more), the strongest volume of engagement (500K or more topic saves), and the strongest uptick in the final 3-6 months of the year (normalizing for seasonal spikes).
If you are currently an entrepreneur in the consumer / B2C market, or you plan to be soon, you should probably pay attention. Some of this will be obvious, some of this will be surprising, some of this will be inspiring, and some of this will be downright silly–all of it, however, will be valuable to know in some capacity.
The categories covered are as follows: Wellness, Beauty, Women’s Style, Men’s Style, Home, Personal Interests, Travel, Life Events, Food, Kids.
Due to resource constraints, it will not be until next month that they release their findings for the Dwayne Johnson category. (We just made that up, but don’t even try to pretend like you didn’t believe us.)
You can check out the full Pinterest 100 for 2017 report HERE. Below is both a summary of all 100 trends (the percentages are the YOY increases in audience interest), as well as a few highlights from each category.
Wellness – The Biggies
- Ab Excercises You Haven’t Tried
- DIY Detox Drinks
- GMOs & Food Homework
Beauty – The Biggies
- Chrome Nails
- Face & Skin Treatments (Charcoal Masks)
- Eyebrow Design (Microblading)
Women’s Style – The Biggies
- Political Statement Clothing
- Jewelry Layering (Multiple Earrings)
Men’s Style – The Biggies
- Lots of Black (Health Goth)
- Smaller-Than-Luggage Travel Bags (Weekender Bags)
- Beard Products (Grooming Balm)
Home – The Biggies
- Wallpaper (Marble Style)
- Simple Living Styles (Danish: Hygge)
Personal Interests – The Biggies
- Crystal Healing
- Unique Gift Boxes (Origami)
Travel – The Biggies
- Cultural Events
- Budget Travel (& Winter Trips)
- Action Cameras
Life Events – The Biggies
- Wedding DJs
- Flamingo Themes
Food – The Biggies
- Meat Substitutes (Jackfruit)
- Bowls (Buddha Bowls)
- Cooking with Ziploc Bags / Air Sealed Bags (Sous Vide)
Kids – The Biggies
- Learning Spanish
- Fairy Gardens
- Prompts for Story Writing (Story Starters)
- Save Money While Going Green With Arcadia Power - July 25, 2019
- 3 Compelling Reasons Why Your Tech Startup Needs A .TECH Domain - June 21, 2019
- Maximize Team Productivity With Project Management Tool monday.com - August 22, 2018
Robert Sawyer says
Pinterest is hard to get into, at first. Then all of a sudden it is like 4 hours later and you think you can make a million dollars making something out of pallets!
Lydia Mathis says
Wallpaper? I am going to have to be honest and say that I did NOT see that coming, ever, in my lifetime.
Edna Roberts says
Ew, I know. I thought the exact same thing when I read that!
Mark Thiel says
Yeah, I am thinking that the wallpaper that is being referred to has more to do with high end than a typical consumer application, just saying.
Angela Murdock says
Action cameras are still pretty huge. Even if GoPro has gone off the deep end, there are plenty of companies making smaller, more affordable options that can record up to 4K.
Cortez Oneal says
For a little while there I thought maybe the beard craze was going by the wayside. If the grooming products are still high on the list, then I would have to say that is not the case.
Mike Carson says
There is a lot of good information here! Each year there is one or two things that really takes off and as an online marketer myself, seeing a list like this gives me some motivation to see if I can get the one that really takes off!~
Christopher Bagley says
This is a great place to start, don’t you think? Even though this list is full of “trends” there is still a trick to finding the one that really takes off.